How to Manage Your Manager
My boss used to tell people 𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗿 and not the other way around...
I took ownership of our relationship & shaped my role in a way that was beneficial for both of us.
Developing a great relationship with your manager is one of the best ways to guarantee success at your job.
Your manager has access to opportunities beyond your scope, they can influence your career progress & they can serve as a mentor.
So how do you build this "magical" relationship & make it work to your advantage?
1. Get to know your manager as a person. Where did they come from? How did they get to where they are in their career? What drives them? What is their management style?
2. Get familiar with your managers’ goals, objectives, and desired outcomes at work. Why? Because their goals are essentially your goals.
3. Prioritize your work so it supports your manager’s goals
4. Learn to anticipate your managers’ needs & help them be successful at their job.
5. Become an extension of your manager. Keep them up to date & represent their interests when they are not around.
The better you get at managing your relationship with your manager, the further you'll go in your career.
How have you built a strong relationship with your manager?